We dedicate this blog post to useful information about the 500 Mbps internet plan and how to take advantage of the high internet speed.
The internet is a basic necessity for connecting to our present-day world and you need good internet speed to surf the internet seamlessly. 500 Mbps is an impressive internet speed to start with and it offers lots of advantages over lower speeds.
Mbps represent megabits per second. Hence, 500 Megabits represent 500 Megabits per second. Megabits do not mean the same thing as megabytes; 8 megabits = 1 megabyte. Therefore, it will take 4 seconds to download a 250-megabyte file.
With a 500 Mbps Internet plan, you can download high-quality 4k HD movie files from the internet in 5 minutes or shorter. You can also connect to multiple devices simultaneously while enjoying high-speed internet with low buffering. This is a summary of the benefits of a 500 Mbps internet plan. Let’s start with some benefits of the amazing 500 Mbps internet plan.
Benefits of 500 Mbps Internet Plan
You can seamlessly run a lot of Internet activities with 500 Mbps of internet speed. 500 Mbps internet speed supports heavy internet activities for over 20 devices. You can also stream 4k videos on multiple devices at the same time.
500 Mbps is faster than the average speed of regular broadband service and it has a lot of benefits. We highlighted some of them below:
- You can enjoy watching/streaming 4k HD videos without intermittent pauses or a glitch in speed
- Seamless browsing of the internet/social media and prompt receiving of email notifications
- Uninterrupted video and audio call on the internet.
- Higher download speed for high-quality video and audio files
- It supports the multiple connections of devices to your network, ensuring an almost equal distribution of internet bandwidth to each one of them. You can connect to up to 20 devices and stream high-quality HD videos at the same time.
Before we answer other questions relating to 500 Mbps internet speed and have you can get it, we must remind you that different internet activities require different download speeds per time and may vary depending on the number of connected devices.
Below is a list of activities that you can conveniently run with 500 Mbps of internet speed:
- Regular browsing of the internet
- The streaming service high-quality HD and 4k videos
- Playing high-quality online games
- Fast data/file downloads in less than 5 minutes (depending on the file size) and many more
500 Mbps Internet plan – How You Can Get It
You can get 500 Mbps internet speed from different internet service providers. The most popular cable in the US and fiber-optic internet service providers include Xfinity Comcast, Cox, AT&T, Verizon Fios, Spectrum, Suddenlink, Windstream, Optimum, and Frontier FiberOptic. They offer high internet speed up to 1000 Mbps and typically cost an average of 60 dollars per month.
In the UK, popular ISPs that offer 500 Mbps include Virgin Media’s M500 fiber, Vodafone Broadband Ultrafast 500, Sky Broadband Sky Ultrafast Plus, Shell Energy Full Fibre Broadband, and Talk Fibre 500 Data Only, Hyperoptic Ultrafast, BT Full Fibre 500, and EE Fibre Max 500. They all have an average internet speed of 500 Mbps at an average monthly cost of 45 dollars/month. Hyperoptic Ultrafast is the most affordable, costing only about 28 dollars per month.
500 Mbps Internet speed test
With internet service providers, you might not always get what you want, and here is what we mean:
If you have a 500 Mbps download speed on your broadband connection, the download speed might be slower than 500 Mbps if you are connected to the internet via Wi-Fi. This might be because of a poor wireless connection from network issues, including:
- Exceeding the required number of connected devices
- The type and age of your router
- The proximity of your router to connected devices
- The internet plan you subscribed to and many other factors.
Hence, you must find out how much speed you are using and be sure that you are getting what you paid for. It also enables you to know the kind of internet activities that you are engaging in.
Below is how to run a simple speed test on your device:
- Connect your PC directly to your router/modem via the Ethernet cable (instead of via Wi-Fi) for better speed reading accuracy
- Via your browser, you can access speed test services online.
- You can measure your internet speed from Ookla Speedtest, Fast.com, Speedof.me, and TestMy.net which you can either access from the web or by downloading the app on both your Android and iPhone device.
If you subscribed to 500 Mbps on your ISP and you are not getting the speed you paid for, try the following hacks:
- Restart your router
- Upgrade your old router device
- Use a wired Ethernet cable for faster speed performance instead of Wi-Fi
- Get a Wi-Fi booster or extender.
- If you don’t record any improvement, call your ISP for professional help.
Is 500 Mbps fast enough for Netflix?
For Netflix, you need about 25 Mbps for 4k Ultra HD content, 5 Mbps to stream full HD content, and about 1.5 Mbps for standard definition Netflix video on 20, 100, and 100+ devices respectively.
Hence, to answer the question above, 500 Mbps is fast enough for Netflix
What is a good internet Speed Mbps?
There is no general answer to this question as it depends on the activity that you are running on the internet.
On average, we consider anywhere between 50 to 100 Mbps as a good internet speed. You can run a lot of internet activities at this speed, from streaming music to HD videos and even playing online games for multiple devices.
Going a step further, an internet speed of 100 Mbps upwards can be high-speed internet.
Is 500 Mbps good for gaming?
If you are a game lover, you know that fast and seamless speed is important for playing online games
For gaming, you need less than 10 Mbps. This is subject to other factors, like the number of devices connected to your network and the type of game you are playing.
Because of instances like this, anywhere between 50 to 200 Mbps should be superb for online gaming. Hence, 500 Mbps of internet speed is great for gaming while connected to multiple devices at the same time.
Is 500 Mbps download speed good?
Again, the answer to this question depends on what you are doing on the internet. With 12 Mbps, you can conveniently surf the web and run basic internet activities like checking your emails, browsing the web, streaming music, and standard-definition video for one or two devices.
25 to 100 Mbps supports connection with up to 4 devices for streaming music, HD & 4k video, and playing games online.
However, a 500 Mbps download speed is a great download speed, very well past average and it can conveniently run the activities highlighted below:
- A mobile application (for Android and iPhone) of 30 MB in less than 1 second
- A high-quality photo of 2MB in less than 1 second
- A music album of 85 MB in 1 second
- A standard-definition movie of 1GB in 16 seconds
- A full HD-quality movie of 4GB in 1 minute
- An Ultra HD quality movie of 20GB for 5 minutes
- A PlayStation or Xbox Console game of 45GB for 12 minutes
People Are Also Reading:
👉 Top Reviews
- [Top rated] Best wifi extender for thick walls – review in 2023
- [Top-Rated] Best Classroom Bluetooth Speaker
- [Top Rated] Best Bluetooth Speaker For Golf Cart – Review In 2023
- [Top-Rated] Best Bluetooth Headset For Truckers
- [Top-rated] Best wifi extender for blink cameras – Review in 2023
👉 Top Tech News
- How to turn on bluetooth on a mac
- How much keyboard for laptop
- How many wireless boxes for xfinity
- How much wireless data do i need
- When keyboard won’t type
👉 Top WiFi Routers
- How to cancel AT&T internet
- Blueshadow USB WiFi Adapter – Dual Band 2.4G/5G Top Features
- How to catch WiFi signals from a long-distance
- How To Get WiFi 200 Feet Away – Extend Wifi Signal to Another Building
- Guide to Comcast Xfinity Stream App